In family ownership for over 500 years, the Towneley family of Burnley sold the Hall to the Burnley Council in 1901 with some surrounding Parkland. The Hall has been open to the public as a place of Historical interest and local Heritage. Exhibitions and events of interest to the local community have also been staged here. A shop and separate café, private garden centre and parkland provide added attraction. The parkland itself hosts a local golf club.